Sunday 21 November 2010

Loy Kathong

 My view from lying on the beach today.
 The beach with a rather stylish mini yacht type thing.
 Last night before the bar opened.
My offering for Loy Kathong later today-not made by my own fair hands. The leaves are from banana trees cut down and folded around.

Yesterday evening I went to teach at the noodle bar and Apple had made me this for the festival today. This evening Pa is taking us to the beach where we will light the candles and incense and float it on the sea. I think we have to put coins into it too as this offering will help ease our journey through the afterlife in the future-according to Buddhist belief. Last night Pa and I talked together properly for the first time as we now have enough of each others language which was really nice.
We went to the bar early as we get our evening meal cooked for us. Nothing was ready so we sat and joined in an impromptu jamming and drinking session with the Thais. It was very fun as everyone was getting involved, singing, dancing and playing various percussion instruments. Afterwards Lek showed us his two fish which have to be kept seperately otherwise they fight. When they are put face to face there mouths get really big and weird. They were really pretty, tiny fish and we had a lot of Thai/English commentary around them. I can understand bits and pieces of simple conversation now and it makes such a difference.

Today we went to the beach and it was the first really hot and sunny day although I think it may rain for a few hours later. I thought I'd be mean and make you a little bit jealous. I have just eaten a jacket potato with really good cheese and am feeling very happy. Off to get ready for the festival.
Lots of love Jo xxx

2 comments:

  1. I think any one would be jealous. The festival sounds lovely and hopefully a lot quieter than the one in Phuket! Enjoy the sunshine it's cold and dull here now. Love Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I snuck a quick look on line http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loi_Krathong

    Enjoy the festival.

    ReplyDelete