Friday 1 April 2011

Being English Abroad

I've always thought that travelling meant trying not to be English, trying to shed some of whatever Englishness is. But far away from home it is an identity that is easy to wear. People have certain expectations of you as English and most often they are quite true. English people can take the piss in a certain way that often offends other nationalities but not our own. There are certain words that flummox others and there is the obsession with drinking tea.
I sat this afternoon sipping Earl Grey on my balcony reading The Guardian with Radio 1 in the background enjoying being in Japan. Can that make sense? But I think it does. Although all around me is Japan, Japanese people and culture inside my head will always be England and when I relax I will always relax in English style.
The build up to the Royal Wedding has surprised me. The amount of excitement from people here I expected-they are pleased to have something to link to me. But staying in touch with the media back home I hear genuine happiness instead of cynicism! What's happening to our snide asides and witty put downs? I like that there is something in the joy of marriage that seems to cross out our scepticism. 
On our second night here we sat around a restaurant table with an Aussie and two Canadians and realised that however much was different we shared the same Queen. It was a strangely bonding moment and we toasted the fact; all of us for the first time ever.
So while I try to learn Japanese, try to cook Japanese food and try to see as much as Japan as possible I will celebrate being my own little English Island too.

No comments:

Post a Comment