Sunday 11 March 2012

Japan-a year on.

About a year ago we woke up to the buzz of concerned text messages and the unusual sound of a T.V on loud in the early morning. Would we still be going to Japan? It was a question that went unanswered for the next three days. In fact even as we waited for our connecting flight in Hong Kong, the news of a second explosion at Fukushima caused it to resurface. In the end the easiest thing to do was to continue on. In the first few days I felt fear. I was pretty sure we'd done something monumentally stupid and would be evacuated out by the foreign office within the week. But news cycles move on and with it so did my fear. Despite the horrors, the death, the plain disruption in the north life here continued and while people identified with and scrambled to assist those suffering there was a desperate desire to embrace life. It was a subdued cherry blossom season with none of the usual festivities. Peace. Again and again when I try to put the experience of Japan into words I come up against that single word. Peace. Today everybody is remembering. There are signs of solidarity everywhere. And as I try to put together something to sum up the sadness, the respect, the collective emotion in this reserved country I find only that one word; peace. Summed up by these pictures taken today by the Nagara river in Seki. 




No comments:

Post a Comment