Saturday 16 July 2011

The Kindness of strangers

I have this week experienced the full force of the kindness of Japanese people. In the space of one week I've been given bags of vegetables by two different students, been invited to watch cormorant fishing, been offered free Japanese lessons and in one kind gesture been given an electric fan by a students mother!
There is a huge shortage of fans in Japan this summer as everyone attempts to preserve the depleted energy supply by not using a/c so much. This is coupled with the greater need for fans for the people made homeless up north. Thus electric shops have rows of empty shelves and when stocks come in they're bought up early in the morning of the same day. So it was truly a kindness for someone I have never met to offer me a spare electric fan for the summer. 
I am feeling the full force of the magic of this multi-layered, mysterious country.

No comments:

Post a Comment